Kris Higgins is a certified gemologist and jewelry appraiser. She has owned and operated Jewelry by KarlaKristine since 1984. Kris takes pride in her work and is committed to providing the best quality stones, gold and design work. Working with clients, attorneys, trust companies and fiduciaries doing Estate and retail replacement of personal property appraisals.
· Certified by the Gemological Institute of America (GIA) in pearls, diamonds, diamond grading and insurance replacement (with honors). https://www.gia.edu/gem-education.
. Gemologist by the San Diego Mineral & Gem Society https://www.sdmg.org/
· Insured by Jewelers Mutual https://www.jewelersmutual.com/
· Co-founder, San Diego Chapter of the Women’s Jewelry Association, 1993.
· Past president and historian of WJA San Diego Chapter.
· Past national board member of the WJA.
· Past National New Chapter Chairperson: position consisted of opening new chapters throughout the United States.
· Authored a handbook on new chapter development.
· Chairwomen for the Autistic Children's Foundation fundraiser.
· Past Career counselor for Mesa college fashion department
· Co-founder, South of Broadway, a networking group of women-owned businesses south of Broadway in downtown San Diego.
· Founder of “Women in Money,” an investment club to educate members about the stock market and making investments.
· Authored “Stone of the Month,” a feature for a San Diego magazine.
· Wrote monthly article for Ranch and Coast magazine
· Past secretary of Fashion Group International fgi.org , a global non-profit organization representing such areas of the fashion industry as apparel, accessories, beauty and home.
· Lecturer for business groups and colleges.
· Career counselor for Gem Institute of America career Fair in San Diego and New York.
· Counselor for the Jenna Druck Foundation (now the ElizabethHospice.org)
· Co-judge, Diva Awards, a nationally recognized jewelry design contest.
· Licensed Nurse, retired after a 23-year career. Worked the Neuro surgical unit for 12 years at Mercy Hospital. I continue to keep an active nursing license.
· Owner of Jewelry by KarlaKristine.
· “Women Who Mean Business,” 2001 finalist for the San Diego Business Journal.
· Flying Samaritan of the Year.
· Honored for service at Mama’s Kitchen https://www.mamaskitchen.org/
· Certificate of Appreciation for 5 tours with the Disaster Response Project, Gulf Coast hurricanes (Katrina), 2005.
· 2014-2015 volunteer cook for the Ladle Fellowship, serving the poor and homeless in San Diego.
· 2016, 2017 and 2018 Spectrum Award in Excellence in Customer Service and Design from City Beat News.
· Mama's Kitchen, delivered hot meals to individual affected by HIV, AIDS and cancer.
· Member and team leader for the disaster response team “Restoring Hope” during the 2005 Gulf Coast hurricanes (Katrina). Assisted with the restoration of homes and set up medical base stations.
· McAlister Foundation: Assisted in decorating halfway houses for boys struggling with addiction withdrawal.
· Ladle Fellowship: Volunteer for Sundays’ cooking, preparation and serving food for 250 homeless and low-income people in need.
· Past member, Flying Samaritans, medical group of volunteer doctors and nurses who worked in a medical clinic in Mexico. Volunteered for 9 years as assistant coordinator.
Gardening, walks, golf, cooking. Writing book on the life in the jewelry industry